Friday, May 25, 2007

it was something to do / I should have been doing something else

That's right, the song you just enjoyed was indeed that sweet summer classic: "Better Days (And the Bottom Drops Out)" by Citizen King. It's been a while, but it was due.

This is Billy Prophet coming to you from out of the depths of the Ether. It is currently 12:35 in the am and here's to hopin' all y'all kiddies are warm and snugly in your little beds right now(alone or with friends/because what's life without friends). But for those of you still awake (working, boozing, or fishing for new relationships in that Thursday night party scene) here's a Beatles number to ease you on your way: "Can't Buy Me Love" off A Hard Day's Night.

Back in the studio again, I have a little question for all you pretty young things out there in the "real world" tuning in tonight (and no, it's not going to be another open invitation to a party back at my place). How do you deal with the crushing weight of reality as your dreams slowly crumble beneath you somewhere along your commute to a job you still can't figure out how you got stuck with? How, indeed? Keep those calls coming. I'll be here all night, because you know I don't sleep. Anyway, here's some more mood music for ya. Straight out of the bar scene from Top Gun, it's the Righteous Brothers, and it would seem you've lost something. Here's looking at you, kid.

"Olympia, WA" by Rancid
"Hotel Song" by Regina Spektor
and
"Paradise City" by Guns N' Roses

And we're back... I didn't want anyone to get tired of the sound of my voice. I know some of you aren't quite as in love with it as I am. How could you be? So, I let the music speak for itself. However, that does mean that we are right about ready to take caller.

Billy: Hello, Caller?
Caller: Hello?
Billy: You're on the air with the Voice of the Wilderness. What do you have to say for yourself?
Caller: Billy? Is that really you?
Billy: The one and only.
Caller: Wow. Awesome. I'm a big fan.
Billy: That's good to hear, sir. Everyone loves a fan. So what do you have to say?
Caller: What?
Billy: Do you have anything to say now that you are on the show?
Caller: I love your show! WOOOOOOOOO!
Billy: Ok. So that was productive. And in his honor, here are The Raconteurs with "Together"

Tag Team, back again. Do I dare take another caller? Yes, they dare.

Billy: Hello, Caller, you're on the air.
Caller 2: Hello, Billy.
Billy: Oooh, it's a lady. How you doin'?
Caller 2: Quite well, thank you. I was calling in regards to the query you posed the audience earlier. The one which raised the issue of how one was to deal with the toil of daily life while still maintaining one's dreams (or at least attempting to do so).
Billy: Indeed. And your response?
Caller 2: Well, the situation is indeed quite difficult. Fiscal responsibilities, social and familial obligations, and the elusive nature of "achieving one's wildest dreams" in general pose a serious obstacle to overcome. It is certainly easier to give in to the sea of troubles, to let it wash over and to drown in the conforming mass of humanity. However, I do believe that the possibility to rise above it all and truly succeed on one's own terms exists and it requires but one thing.
Billy: And that would be?
Caller 2: Luck.
Billy: A woman after my own heart.
Caller 2: On one final and somewhat more personal note, and I hope you do not find me too forward in saying this, I find you quite attractive and wanted you to know that.
Billy: Thank you, Caller. Thank you. And now to close the evening: Death Cab For Cutie and "I Will Follow You Into The Dark." I'm off to my warm bottle of bourbon and my cold empty bed. Here's to the silences.

1 Comments:

At 1:51 AM, Blogger Shawn said...

That Death Cab song is among one of my favourites.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home