Sunday, September 11, 2005

My Dartmouth Diploma is a Waste of Paper

That I am wasting my life and my college degree is an opinion shared by the majority of people who know me. It's not a position with which I have much room to argue. I mean, I did go to an Ivy League school just to be an entry level employee at a franchise coffee bar. And if that is all you see, then yes, I did waste my college degree, my life and so much else. That and you are a money grubbing whore.

I am an unambitious man. I want none of the success that my friends have so quickly achieved mostly because I do not want to responsibilities that go along with said success. But as is the way with those on the "fast track" (to quote the glorious '80s colloquialism) they just don't understand a value system other than their own. (Blanket staments are the best way for coming to an acurate understanding). I get the most condescending looks nowadays from people when the find out what I am doing with my life (or rather what I am not doing with my life). After all, there are seemingly only two value systems that are acceptable for a red-blooded American boy to adopt: either I should be out to make as much damn money as possible, or I should try to help people in any way I can and thus "give back" to the community. Fuck all that. I've never much cared for money (I like getting new things and such, but I never put much stock in things) but I don't really give a shit about other people. So that throws out helping people. I only help people if it helps me (or entertains me, etc.). So there you go.

So what does that leave? Not a whole hell of a lot. Except that I am not as unambitious as I seem. Just not in the conventional sense. Sure I don't care too much about being rich or powerful (though I wouldn't mind being rich and I think I might enjoy being famous), but there is more to it than that. I want to leave my mark on the world (not through world domination or any bullshit like that). I want to be remembered (and hopefully remembered well). And I'm working on it. I'll let you know how it goes.

"Everyone is interested in pigeons." - Whitwell Elwin (more prophetic words have ne'er been uttered)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home