Saturday, September 24, 2005

Escape and Escapism

I have a raven tattooed on each of my shoulders. One is screaming at the indignities of life at the absurdity of existence at inevitiablity and the pressure of maintaining at the everpresent ever destructive ennui. The other is impassive stoic calm in the face of the storm knowing full well that life will always limp on. There is a deep and knowing saddness within me.

***

The Seven Sages:
Hello.

Billy Prophet:
Oh, hi. I'm Billy Prophet and I've come seeking-

The Seven Sages:
We know who you are and we know why you have come. But there is no need for names here. Come, join us. Have some of our wine.

Billy Prophet:
I don't know, I've never really been much of a wine fan. What kind is it?

The Seven Sages:
It is wine. And it is good. We have no need of names here. To name is to diminish. That is why we left the world and sought our sancuary here, among the trees and the silence.

Billy Prophet:
Oh, sorry.

The Seven Sages:
There is no need to apologize. But come now, and join us. We will speak of many things. We will drink and be merry and grow not old.

Billy Prophet:
But I need to know what happens next. I need to know.

The Seven Sages:
Come, share our wine. In the Bamboo Grove there is no next.
***

Every morning I wake up. I grab a beer and I enjoy it. Then I play a game of Russian roulette. If I am still alive, I get another beer. Then I go to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home